Note: All new users will be asked to take a tutorial & quiz upon running their first e-verify case in the product. This will help ensure that your team is being compliant to e-verify rules & regulations.
E-Verify is an integrated screening tool available as part of HigherMe’s Paperless Onboarding.
What is E-Verify?
E-Verify is a web-based system that allows enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
HigherMe partners with Form I-9 Compliance to digitally run E-Verify through our integrated systems, providing seamless eligibility checks in your hiring process to onboard qualified candidates, faster. All your E-Verify case responses can be reviewed from your HigherMe onboarding dashboard.
How it works:
- Send your new hire an I-9 as part of their onboarding paperwork.
- Once complete, review section 2 of the I-9 and submit the case to E-Verify.
- E-Verify electronically confirms the candidate’s information against government records such as the U.S Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration.
- Review the candidate’s E-Verify case response from your onboarding dashboard in HigherMe.
- Close the case to finish onboarding the candidate.
How to set up E-Verify
Note: All E-Verify registrations are subject to a $50 set-up fee, and an additional $10/location that is signed up to be using E-Verify.
1. Fill out the Form i-9 Compliance Request Form
The link to fill out the form can be found here -> https://form.jotform.com/72567171914158
Please only select E-Verify as the service option as we already provide the ability to sign the i-9 in Onboarding.
2. Send the filled out form to us
Once the form is filled out, it is crucial that we receive this so that it can be passed on to E-Verify for review. From here, there is about a 3-5 day period before your account will be set up.
3. Sign the MOU that you received
After the waiting period, you should receive an agreement from the Form i-9 team. Once this is signed, we will receive an activation code and activate your E-Verify integration.
E-Verify Workflow with HigherMe
The purpose of E-Verify is to allow enrolled employers to confirm the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
- Employer Review
- Employers can trigger the e-verify process during the review stage, after both the candidate and the manager have completed their respective piece of the I-9 form.
- Once an employer clicks on “Start E-Verify”, a new tab opens up with information prepopulated for the employee who is being onboarded.
- The employer can then review and modify the information before officially submitting the case. Once they submit a case number is provided to them for auditing purposes (and if they need to follow up)
- In order to finalize the onboarding process, the employer must close the case in e-verify. Depending on the status returned, the employer will either be allowed to not hire the candidate, need to take action on the e-verify dashboard, or allowed to be onboarded (authorized status)